Sunday 6 March 2011

Interesting birds of prey article.

So far throughout this blog I have focused upon the diminishing populations of large numbers of species around the world. These doom and gloom case studies of disappearing species are numerous, so I was delighted to find an article on the BBC News website portraying a more positive story.

Here is the article:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12634698

The article states that a number of bird of prey populations have increased over the last 50 years. Humans had a negative impact upon populations in the first half of the 20th Century through rapid industrialisation and the wide use of organochlorine pesticides. Two examples of increased populations are the Red Kite which now has 1,800 breeding pairs in the United Kingdom, and the Buzzard with a population of around 40,000.

However, not all of the 15 species of birds of prey native to the United Kingdom are experiencing this increase in populations. A number of species are still at risk including the Golden Eagle, with only one breeding pair in the United Kingdom.


(Image of Golden Eagle with a lamb in its grasp. Images like this shown in the Daily Mail this week create negative views of birds of prey, often encouraging persecution.)

Food and territory are not the problem for birds of prey, it is persecution including poisoned bait that is limiting populations. Yet another case study of the negative impact of humans on a wide range of animal species.

References:


http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/02/27/article-1361000-0D5D039E000005DC-275_634x689.jpg
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12634698

5 comments:

  1. Hey Hannah,

    Was just looking at the news today to see if there was anything relevant for my blog, and I came across this article

    http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/worlds-sixth-mass-extinction-may-be-underway--study-2234388.html

    thought you might find it useful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I simply wished to thank you so much once again. I'm not certain the things that I would have handled in the absence of the actual secrets shown by you about such concern. Certainly was a very daunting crisis in my position, nevertheless taking note of this expert fashion you processed the issue forced me to weep for gladness. I am happier for your advice and thus sincerely hope you realize what a great job you are accomplishing educating many people by way of your blog. I'm certain you've never come across all of us. plant based protein

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really enjoying the theme/design of your web site. Do you ever run into any browser compatibility issues? A couple of my blog visitors have complained about my site not operating correctly in Explorer but looks great in Chrome. Do you have any solutions to help fix this issue? Supplements in newzealand

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure exactly why but this website is loading extremely slow for me. Is anyone else having this issue or is it a problem on my end? I'll check back later and see if the problem still exists.
    Weight Loss Organic Supplements

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello would you mind stating which blog platform you're working with? I'm looking to start my own blog in the near future but I'm having a hard time deciding between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your layout seems different then most blogs and I'm looking for something unique. P.S My apologies for being off-topic but I had to ask!
    Is intermittent fasting good for weight loss

    ReplyDelete